There are many factors that go into great ranking positions, but it all starts with keywords. Having the correct keywords infused into your listing tells Amazon’s algorithm how (and when) to index your listing in a search. The more searches you show up in, the more traffic your listing will receive and, in turn, the more sales you will gain.
Keywords are words or phrases customers use when searching for products on Amazon’s search engine. By incorporating relevant keywords into your product titles, descriptions, and bullet points, you can improve your product’s visibility and increase the chances of it being found by potential customers.
Here are 3 steps to take to improve your keyword ranking positions and get more visibility.
1. Researching and selecting keywords
The first step in using keywords to boost your organic sales on Amazon is to research and select the right keywords for your products. There are several tools and techniques you can use to do this, including:
- Amazon’s autocomplete function: When you start typing a search term into Amazon’s search bar, you’ll notice that Amazon suggests a list of related search terms. These suggestions are based on the most popular searches on the site and can give you a good idea of the types of keywords that customers are using.
- Amazon’s search analytics: Amazon’s search analytics tool, which is available to sellers through the Amazon Advertising console, provides data on the keywords that customers are using to find your products. By analyzing this data, you can identify the most popular keywords and incorporate them into your product listings.
- Keyword research tools: There are several keyword research tools available online that can help you find relevant keywords for your products. These tools, such as Helium 10’s Keyword Cerebro, will allow you to enter a seed keyword and generate a list of related keywords and their search volume.
Once you’ve identified a list of relevant keywords, it’s important to prioritize them based on their relevance and search volume. The most relevant and high-volume keywords should be incorporated into your product titles and descriptions, while less important keywords can be included in your bullet points or product tags.
2. Incorporating keywords into your product listings
Now that you’ve identified and prioritized your keywords, it’s time to incorporate them into your product listings. Here are a few best practices for using keywords effectively:
- Use keywords in your product titles: The product title is one of the most important places to use keywords, as it’s the first thing customers see when searching for products on Amazon. Try to include your most important keywords as close to the beginning of the title as possible, as Amazon gives more weight to the words at the beginning of the title.
- Use keywords in your bullet points: Your bullet points are another important place to include keywords, as they provide customers with a quick overview of the features and benefits of your product. Try to include a mix of short and long-tail keywords in your bullet points, and use action words to make them more compelling.
- Use keywords in your product descriptions: Your product description is a great place to include long-tail keywords and provide customers with more detailed information about your product. Be sure to use your keywords naturally and avoid keyword stuffing, as this can negatively impact your search ranking.
3. Optimizing your product listings for Amazon’s search algorithm
In addition to using keywords effectively, it’s important to optimize your product listings for Amazon’s search algorithm. Amazon’s search algorithm takes into account a variety of factors when ranking products, including the relevance of the product to the search term, the sales and conversion history of the product, and the quality of the product listing. Here are a few ways you can optimize your product listings for Amazon’s search algorithm:
- Use a keyword-rich product title: As mentioned above, the product title is an important factor in Amazon’s search algorithm. Be sure to include your most important keywords in the title, and keep it concise and to the point.
- Include high-quality product images: High-quality product images can help improve your conversion rates. Images should be over 1000 pixels. We recommend 2000 pixels.
Using keywords effectively can significantly impact the success of your organic sales on Amazon. By researching and selecting the right keywords, incorporating them into your product listings, and optimizing your listings for Amazon’s search algorithm, you can improve your product’s visibility and increase its chances of being found by potential customers. Implementing these strategies can help drive more traffic to your product listings and ultimately lead to increased sales and revenue for your business.
Want to find out if your listings are optimized for maximum ranking and exposure? Grab a free audit now!
Written by John Smiddy
John Smiddy is a seasoned marketer with a wealth of experience in the industry. He is the founder of LeadPlan Marketing and co-founder of NutraMarketers, where he has dedicated his career to marketing for nutrition brands. With a passion for marketing, John has also worked with well-known brands such as Skull Candy and Vans Warped Tour. In addition to his experience in the nutrition industry, John has a diverse background in television and the music industry. He is the author of the insightful book “Stop Guessing, Start Marketing” which showcases his expertise in the field.